Enjoy a twilight walking tour of Athens and encounter an extraordinary side of the city as you stroll through its neighborhoods after sunset.
Athens Myths & Tales Walking Tour
- Immerse yourself in Athens’ ancient history while also experiencing Athenians’ modern life.
- Stroll around centuries-old pathways alongside ancient landmarks and other unknown historical sites.
- Witness the changing of the Greek ‘Evzones’ guards, traditionally dressed with a white skirt, red hat and old rifle.
- Get ready to meet the Olympians through fascinating myths and tales.
- Experience real Athens through the eyes and storytelling of locals, leaving aside any ‘impersonal’ reading of guidebooks.
- Price per person
- Shared Tour
- Private Group
Syntagma Square (at the exit of Syntagma metro station), in the middle of the square, at the fountain.
We will be standing next to the fountain which is located at the middle of the Square.
Check out for our sign Athens Local Adventures!
Syntagma Square, Athens 105 63. See the Map
Guests’ pickup is offered for the private group option. Pick up time adjustable upon your request. We will meet you at your Athens hotel lobby or Piraeus Port. Our guide will be holding a sign with your name. Call us to arrange.
Immerse yourself in Athens’ ancient history
Get ready to explore one of the world’s oldest cities, where a long history and strong culture coexist with Athenians’ modern rhythms and life. Visit must-see Athens spots as well hidden not-to-miss gems, sip Greek coffee, and see a traditional Greek changing of the guard ceremony with a local by your side. Dive into the very soul of Athens’ past and discover exactly what made this city so special.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour
Your tour visits several historic sites of Athens, giving you a sense of the city’s rich history, as well as supporting local cultural heritage.
Join one of the most intriguing and stimulating tours of Athens and learn all about Greek Mythology!
You begin your tour from Syntagma Square, where you meet us. The most important and crowded square in Athens, Syntagma Square is surrounded by the Parliament and other impressive neoclassical buildings, but it wasn’t always like this! Learn why King Otto moved the capital of the newly-born Greek Kingdom from Nafplio to Athens and why he picked Syntagma Square for his palace.
Moving into the upper end of the square, you visit the tomb of the unknown soldier and see the Evzones, the guards of the constitution dressed in a traditional white skirt, red hat, and an old rifle, a costume dating back to the 17th and 18th century. Learn about the tradition of the changing of the guard and watch the ceremony that happens every hour and simply cannot be missed during your Athens tour.
Continue your tour by following the trails Theseus, the legendary hero from Greek mythology, around Athens’ most famous landmarks. We stroll around centuries-old pathways alongside ancient landmarks and other unknown historical sites, passing by the famous Athens Acropolis and the Ancient Agora and hearing stories from us about the customs and traditions that still exist today. Please bear in mind that the tour inside the Acropolis is not included, so that’ll have to be done separately on your own time.
Next, explore Plaka, the oldest neighborhood continuously inhabited since ancient times. Wander along Athens’ oldest streets and pass by some of the most important city’s landmarks such as the Diogenes Square, Hadrian’s Arch built in honor of one of the most glorified Roman emperors, the impressive ruins of the Jupiter (Zeus) temple, the National Gardens, and Zappeion, and the white marble Panathinaiko Stadium where the first Olympic Games took place and the 2004 Olympic marathon ended.
After this not-to miss tour of Athens history, you’re taken back to present-day Athens to experience the locals’ everyday life and admire some of Athens’ more modern architecture while sipping a traditional coffee and savoring local sweets.
This Athens walking tour comes to an end at the Acropolis of Athens, where you can continue your own personal exploration, or we can give you directions on how to get back to your hotel. With so many suggestions and tips from us, you’ll likely have a myriad of things you’ll want to do next!
Greek coffee or soft drink, local sweets
Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- In general, there are few dress restrictions in Europe and dress codes are similar to those you are used to at home. Please note though that in many churches modest dress is required; no shorts or skimpy tops are permitted.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.