Christmas bites, sips and traditions
- Explore festive Athens and experience the Christmas spirit in unique places under the one-and-only Acropolis
- Listen to myths and legends about Kaloikatzaroi, sacred boats, and other Greek Christmas traditions
- Sip a warm local beverage in a festively decorated bar only known by locals Sweeten your palate with the best local Christmas sweets
- Discover the most colourful Christmas market of Athens and blow up your Instagram with some seriously festive photos
- Price per person
- Shared Tour
Syntagma Square (at the exit of Syntagma metro station), in the middle of the square, at the fountain.
We will be standing next to the fountain which is located at the middle of the Square.
We will be holding an Athens Local Adventures sign.
Syntagma Square, Athens 105 63. See the Map
Guests’ pickup is offered for the private group option. Pick up time adjustable upon your request. We will meet you at your Athens hotel lobby or Piraeus Port. Our guide will be holding a sign with your name. Call us to arrange.
Experience the Christmas spirit in Athens
Get in the festive spirit on a Christmas-themed tour of Athens for ‘kids’ of all ages. Follow your nose to an historic bakery selling Greek Christmas sweets, sip warm beverages and snack on other mouth-watering treats, live your Christmas fairy tale under the brightly lit rock of the Acropolis, and explore the most colourful market of Athens – all with a local by your side.
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour highlights centuries-old recipes, tastes, and traditions that could be lost if not preserved.
- By joining this tour, you are supporting a 100-year-old local bakery so it can continue thriving and serving authentic local delicacies.
Meet us for our Christmas adventure at Syntagma Square, the epicenter and most crowded square in Athens, where the city’s Christmas tree is lit, and get acquainted with our traditions and learn how to sing our local Christmas Carols (Kalanta).
Follow us to a historic bakery selling Greek Christmas sweets, and immerse yourself in the ‘two Kings’ of Christmas Greek sweets: kourambiedes (cookies filled with almonds or nuts and dusted with powdered sugar) and melomakarona (a pastry that combines honey syrup, olive oil, nuts, cloves, and cinnamon).
We will share with you our grandma’s recipe so you can try baking them when you return home!
Hear stories about Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors, as well as other Christmas myths. On your way, notice the replica boats decorated with ornaments and twinkle lights, a modern incarnation of a deep-rooted tradition!
Next, we will venture into the Bohemian neighbourhood of Athens, and sip warm beverages at Christmas themed bars and snack on other mouth-watering Christmas treats.
We will finish at one of the most charming Christmas markets, housed in an impressive location with a long history. Stay as long as you like and keep exploring local culinary delights.
- Go on a Christmas walking tour of Athens on a small max 6 people group
- You will indulge in warm Greek mountain tea and a glass of mulled wine.
- We will hop on the metro to go to Gazi neighborhood.
Additional food and drinks, souvenirs or personal shopping, tips/gratuities.
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- In general, there are few dress restrictions in Europe and dress codes are similar to those you are used to at home. Please note though that in many churches modest dress is required; no shorts or skimpy tops are permitted.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- All our team members are fully vaccinated.